Sightseeing in Lacave : le Moulin de Cougnaguet
The mill was built in the fourteenth century by the monks from a Cistercian abbey settled in Les Alix, located two kilometers away from Rocamadour.
The construction started in 1292 and lasted just over fifty years. It was finally completed by the monks in 1350.
In July 19, 1778, the monks sold the building which became a private property. The mill then became a scheduled historical monument in 1925 and was operated until 1959.
The mill is directly built over “The Ouysse”, a river which starts its life as an underground stream to then follow an eleven kilometers journey before meeting the Dordogne. The weir of the mill is about 1.600 km long and six meters thick.
The original arched front door has been walled up. It was reached by a ford the tiles of which may still be spotted under the water. In these troubled times of famine and looting, the monks who lived there had got themselves some very strong defences.
All they needed to do was to close the door and open the four valves inside the mill, thereby causing a large flow of water to drown the potential aggressors crossing the ford.
The mill is equipped with four wheels weighing about 1.5 tons, each enclosed in a wooden framework through which up to three tons of grain a day were grounded into flour.
Installation of a newly carved mill stone – 2008.
- The virgin of the roc, between Meyronne and Lacave : Notre Dame du Rocher Sainte Marie
- Art exhibition in the Chateau de la Treyne’s chapel, Lacave, from july 8th to august 31st
- Horse Shows in Rocamadour : Durandal vs. Excalibur
- Rocamadour – extract from ‘les merveilles de France’
- Sightseeing in Lacave : le Moulin de Cougnaguet